QV CostBuilder is provided by Quotable Value Ltd ("QV").
- Quotable Value is a State-Owned Enterprise (governed by the State-Owned Enterprises Act 1986) which assumed the commercial functions of the Valuation Department ("VNZ") in July 1998. QV collects personal information in connection with it being able to deliver valuation services, related property information and data services to local authorities, central government and private enterprise. It also assumed contracts under which VNZ sold data to third parties on a commercial basis.
- The Policy applies to all information held by QV. The Policy aims to ensure QV and all recipients of information held by QV manage information in accordance with applicable New Zealand legislation including the Official Information Act 1982, Privacy Act 1993 (in particular the Information Privacy Principles), Rating Valuations Act 1998, Rating Valuations Rules 2008, Public Records Act 2005 and the Local Government (Rating) Act 2002. The Policy also aims to ensure that the information held and disclosed by QV is used in a fair, honest and ethical manner and due regard is had to the privacy of individuals, the subject of the information.
- The information held by QV falls into two categories:
- Publicly available information as defined by the Privacy Act 1993. That is, information sourced from a public register, namely the Territorial Authority District Valuation Rolls.
- Personal and other information which is not sourced from and/or contained on a public register. In particular, District Valuation Roll supporting data.
- If you provide personal information to QV, you consent to the terms of this Policy relating to our collection, use and disclosure of your personal information.
- Ensure all New Zealanders have access to and use of publicly available information
- Minimise the risk of misuse of the information.
- Increase the public's confidence in the management of the information.
- Promote a culture among QV and recipients of the information it holds to conduct their business fairly, honestly, ethically and in accordance with this policy.
Scope of Policy
- QV requires all of its employees and agents to abide by the Policy.
- Breaches of the Policy by QV employees will be the subject of disciplinary action. Breaches by other persons will be dealt with in accordance with the terms of the contract between that person and QV.
Collection of information
- QV collects and holds personal information in the course of carrying out its functions. While the information is still official information, the collection, access and release of personal information must be managed as far as possible in accordance with other legislation and in particular the Privacy Act 1993 and the Rating Valuation Rules 2008.
- In accordance with the Privacy Act 1993, QV will only collect information that is necessary for it to collect for a lawful purpose connected with a function or activity of QV.
- QV collects its information from a public register (the District Valuation Roll) and from the District Valuation Roll supporting data held by territorial authorities which is available to the public on request, subject to the Privacy Act 1993.
- It is well known amongst the public that QV holds information regarding properties in New Zealand in order to carry out valuation services. It is not reasonably practicable for QV to advise all individuals about whom it holds property information that the information is held by QV.
- QV will collect information only by lawful and fair means and in a manner that does not intrude to an unreasonable extent upon the personal affairs of the individual concerned.
Storage and security of information
- QV stores the information and in particular personal information in a secure environment to minimise the risk of loss and unauthorised use. QV and all other users of the information will take all reasonable steps to protect the information from misuse and loss from unauthorised access, modification or disclosure.
- QV may outsource the storage of personal information to third parties if required. If personal information is stored with a third party, QV will ensure everything reasonably within the power of QV is done to prevent unauthorised use or unauthorised disclosure of the information.
- All recipients of information disclosed by QV must take all reasonable steps to protect any personal information, by reasonable security safeguards, against loss, use, modification or disclosure and other misuse.
- QV will not hold personal information for longer than what it is reasonably required to be held for and if no longer required will be destroyed in a secure manner.
Access to, correction of, and accuracy of personal information
- Under the Privacy Act 1993, an individual has the right to request access to personal information held by QV about him or her where such personal information is readily retrievable.
- The provision of access and/or a decision on whether QV holds such information and whether access is to be given must be advised to the individual as soon as reasonably practicable and in any event no later than 20 working days of the receipt of the request.
- Reasons for refusing access must be in accordance with the Privacy Act 1993.
- An individual can request the correction of the personal information held by QV. Where the correction is not made the individual can request that QV attach a statement of the correction sought but not made.
- QV will not use any personal information held by it without first taking such steps that are, in the circumstances, reasonable to ensure that such information is accurate, up to date, complete, relevant and not misleading, having regard to the purpose for which the information is to be used.
QV has appointed a Privacy Officer who is responsible for managing any queries or complaints that may arise. Should you have any further queries please contact the Privacy Officer who will be able to assist you.
Quotable Value Limited
Private Bag 39818
Telephone: 0800 782 678
QV will review this Policy on an annual basis or more frequently if it is deemed necessary and will amend the Policy as appropriate.